Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Keep the Feel Forever part 2

If you haven't read Keep The Feel part 1 then you will have no idea what's going on, so read that before this one, Go Go Go!

Deep Rooted hit the stage with an explosion of energy, excitement and classic funk. Brea, JoHaz, Mr. Brandy, Cessi, Mr. Brady, Sha Dula, BOOSEY, and DJ Artistic mesmerized the crowd with their original San Diego underground hip hop funky sound.
By this time my camera died, so I changed the batteries. It died again so I changed them again. I guessed that my batteries weren’t going to work so I rushed to the store on the corner with my sweet and loyal boyfriend stumbling behind me. When I returned the batteries failed to work again. Before I began to pull my hair out I ran and changed them again, still nothing. I was upset to miss the rest of Deep Rooted but I had to catch Ab Rude. So I leaped into my truck and bolted to the RGJ. I grabbed a better camera and flew back to the Green Room. I sadly missed the rest of Deep Rooted but thank goodness that Ab Rude hadn’t gone on yet. At this point I said my hellos to him. I’m not normally I shy person but he keeps me star struck every time I see him even though he is so modest and always remembers me.
We talked for a bit about the ongoing hip hop problem and stereotypes on the radio. The hip hop we hear on the radio or see on MTV isn’t always good. You have to give it up for Kanye West, Common, Talib Kewli, Mos Def, The Roots, Erykah Badu and a bunch others for being amazing but a lot of those rappers you see on TV talking about all their money and bad mouthing women aren’t exactly what hip hop is about. There are so many good underground groups that people are missing and many of those “bling” and “crunk” groups are setting bad examples for those who have true passions for the music. That’s another story.
Abstract finally hit the stage a little after midnight and I pushed my way to the front to snap more pictures. His charisma and charm can woo any lady, and always does. After a bunch of songs, the heat must have got to the camera because it killed it once again. A bit frustrated I was still satisfied by the outcome of pictures I had taken. I could see my boyfriends eyes get heavier and heavier so I figured it was time to go. I waved goodbye to Ab and managed to squeeze out the front door. The cloud of smoke and body heat that had formed above the crowd had gotten to us. I wasn’t too upset to leave half way through Ab Rude’s performance because he and Aceyalone will be back September 1st and 2nd for an A-Team spectacular.

So that was my weekend, filled with great music and wild and crazy people. Check out the web for more amazing underground hip hop bands.

Important announcement: Talib Kweli comes to Stoney’s on Saturday. This should be beyond amazing. Maybe, just maybe I’ll see you there.

Go to reader photos to check out more photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home